July 20, 2012
Economic Development Updates
State Sen. Bill Carrico pitches SWVA businesses to Taiwan
Capital fund investing in future of Roanoke and New River valleys
Region needs to compete
Mayor shares vision of Roanoke’s direction
Fairfax County seeks zoning approval for new public safety headquarters
Development along the Roanoke River gets the green light from city council
New network hopes to connect and expand polymer manufacturing in Southern Virginia
CTB Takes Next Step on 460 Connector
Vendors growing at Danville Farmers’ Market
Technology center receives grant
Compiled by Shannon McNish
About the Author
John Provo is director of the Office of Economic Development in Outreach and International Affairs. He designs applied research and technical-assistance projects that link university and community to address economic development issues.
Provo has developed partnerships between Virginia Tech and entities in the public, private and non-profit sectors to address economic development needs. Recent accomplishments include securing more than $10 million in three large federal grants for western Virginia in training and curricular development for green jobs and health IT and in engineering technical assistance for transportation manufacturing equipment firms.
Provo also teaches in Virginia Tech’s College of Architecture and Urban Studies. His economic development studio course directs teams of students who undertake real-life economic development projects in the region.
Provo earned his doctorate from Portland State University and his master's degree in urban and regional planning from Virginia Commonwealth University. His bachelor's degree in government is from the College of William and Mary.
Follow him on Twitter @japrovo
Most recent entries
- What are you telling students about the job market?
- What do you think it takes to get 60 university researchers to spend a sunny spring Friday afternoon
- Stories in Economic Development
- Economic Development Efforts Across Virginia
- Virginia Cities Represented Well in Annual Report
- A New Year Brings New Economic Development Updates
- Economic Development in the News
- Big Economic Development Stories
- Cycling and the NRV
- Economic Impacts Observed this Week
- Financing Opportunities Through Technology Based Economic Development Organizations
- October Activity in Economic Development
- Economic Stories Continue
- Exploring reshoring
- This Week’s Economic Forecast for Virginia