March 30, 2012
March 25-30: Economic Development Stories
Aeroprobe adds new high speed wind tunnel to Blacksburg operations
Mountains, rivers and lakes drive business in the Roanoke region
Genedge Alliance Announces Grant Award in Danville
Lynchburg’s housing market shows signs of improvement
Smaller houses here to stay in Hampton Roads region
Companies look for an educated workforce in Hampton
Roanoke markets based on outdoors appeal
Parking study cites need for more spaces in downtown Bristol
Danville considers additional tax increment district
Compiled by Candice Foldenauer
About the Author
John Provo is director of the Office of Economic Development in Outreach and International Affairs. He designs applied research and technical-assistance projects that link university and community to address economic development issues.
Provo has developed partnerships between Virginia Tech and entities in the public, private and non-profit sectors to address economic development needs. Recent accomplishments include securing more than $10 million in three large federal grants for western Virginia in training and curricular development for green jobs and health IT and in engineering technical assistance for transportation manufacturing equipment firms.
Provo also teaches in Virginia Tech’s College of Architecture and Urban Studies. His economic development studio course directs teams of students who undertake real-life economic development projects in the region.
Provo earned his doctorate from Portland State University and his master's degree in urban and regional planning from Virginia Commonwealth University. His bachelor's degree in government is from the College of William and Mary.
Follow him on Twitter @japrovo
Most recent entries
- What are you telling students about the job market?
- What do you think it takes to get 60 university researchers to spend a sunny spring Friday afternoon
- Stories in Economic Development
- Economic Development Efforts Across Virginia
- Virginia Cities Represented Well in Annual Report
- A New Year Brings New Economic Development Updates
- Economic Development in the News
- Big Economic Development Stories
- Cycling and the NRV
- Economic Impacts Observed this Week
- Financing Opportunities Through Technology Based Economic Development Organizations
- October Activity in Economic Development
- Economic Stories Continue
- Exploring reshoring
- This Week’s Economic Forecast for Virginia