April 13, 2012
Mid April is Not a Lull for Economic Stories
VA jobless rate at 6.1 in February
Clinch River might become sites of Southwest Virginia’s newest state park
Q & A: What should be done to fix the Greater Lynchburg Transit Company’s financial problems?
Navy remains backbone after VA. Beach jet crash
Danville seeks new stores to shore up against “retail leakage”
Reidsville business owner wants jobs for Rockingham Co
McDonnell recommends port-related economic development zone
Mayor Bowers lays out his vision for Roanoke’s future
Danville gets money to build a fountain
Compiled by Candice Foldenauer
About the Author
John Provo is director of the Office of Economic Development in Outreach and International Affairs. He designs applied research and technical-assistance projects that link university and community to address economic development issues.
Provo has developed partnerships between Virginia Tech and entities in the public, private and non-profit sectors to address economic development needs. Recent accomplishments include securing more than $10 million in three large federal grants for western Virginia in training and curricular development for green jobs and health IT and in engineering technical assistance for transportation manufacturing equipment firms.
Provo also teaches in Virginia Tech’s College of Architecture and Urban Studies. His economic development studio course directs teams of students who undertake real-life economic development projects in the region.
Provo earned his doctorate from Portland State University and his master's degree in urban and regional planning from Virginia Commonwealth University. His bachelor's degree in government is from the College of William and Mary.
Follow him on Twitter @japrovo
Most recent entries
- Crowdfunding regional tech-based economic development
- Recent Economic Development News for Virginia
- Economic News for Virginia
- Virginia Economic Developers Association Announces New Training Program for Economic Developers
- Recent Economic Developments for Virginia
- What’s New for the Commonwealth’s Economy
- News for Virginia’s Economy
- Recent News on the Economy of Virginia
- News on the Commonwealth’s Economy
- What’s New for Virginia’s Economy?
- New Events for Virginia’s Economy
- STATS America Webinar Introduces a Useful Database for Planners and Developers
- Alumni Spotlight: Kathryn Shackelford
- Recent Events for Virginia’s Economy
- Recent Virginia Economic News: July 13-July 19