April 13, 2012
Mid April is Not a Lull for Economic Stories
VA jobless rate at 6.1 in February
Clinch River might become sites of Southwest Virginia’s newest state park
Q & A: What should be done to fix the Greater Lynchburg Transit Company’s financial problems?
Navy remains backbone after VA. Beach jet crash
Danville seeks new stores to shore up against “retail leakage”
Reidsville business owner wants jobs for Rockingham Co
McDonnell recommends port-related economic development zone
Mayor Bowers lays out his vision for Roanoke’s future
Danville gets money to build a fountain
Compiled by Candice Foldenauer
About the Author
John Provo is director of the Office of Economic Development in Outreach and International Affairs. He designs applied research and technical-assistance projects that link university and community to address economic development issues.
Provo has developed partnerships between Virginia Tech and entities in the public, private and non-profit sectors to address economic development needs. Recent accomplishments include securing more than $10 million in three large federal grants for western Virginia in training and curricular development for green jobs and health IT and in engineering technical assistance for transportation manufacturing equipment firms.
Provo also teaches in Virginia Tech’s College of Architecture and Urban Studies. His economic development studio course directs teams of students who undertake real-life economic development projects in the region.
Provo earned his doctorate from Portland State University and his master's degree in urban and regional planning from Virginia Commonwealth University. His bachelor's degree in government is from the College of William and Mary.
Follow him on Twitter @japrovo
Most recent entries
- We’re Back With Virginia Economic Development News From the Past Month
- Latest News in Virginia Economic Development
- Happenings in Economic Development for Virginia
- Economic Development News for the Commonwealth of Virginia
- What’s Going On With Economic Development in Virginia
- New Happenings in Virginia Economic Development
- What’s New for Economic Development in Virginia?
- Mahindra Research Valley
- India calling
- VEDP hosts webinar on the Agricultural and Forestry Industries Development Fund
- News in Economic Development for the Commonwealth
- Economic Development News for Virginia
- NSF Releases New Data on R&D Spending Across the Country